Friday, April 1, 2011

Take with you words

Ave Maria!  "Take with you words," the prophet Hosea tells us today in our first reading at Mass (Hosea 14:2-10).  What words shall I take with me on my journey throughout this new day?  What will they be like?  Will they build up or tear down?  Will they bring light or cause darkness?  Will they be sweet or bitter?  Will they be kind and loving or mean and sarcastic?  Will they be replete with hope and encouragement or full of dismal foreboding?  Will they be joyful and celebratory or mirthless and unfestive? 

What power there is in words!  And what power is mine in using them!  "Take with you words," the Lord says to me today through his prophet.  Let me first listen to His voice, so full of goodness and love, and then beg His wisdom that I might choose words like His, full of spirit and life. 

May the spoken words of my mouth,
the thoughts of my heart,
win favor in your sight, O Lord!
~Psalm 19:15

No comments:

Post a Comment