Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Growth and Change

If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living. ~Anatole France

Ave Maria!  The above quote appeared in my email box this morning from Catholic Digest.  It instantly brought to mind two other quotes, both from Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman.
Growth is the only evidence of life.
In a higher world it is otherwise, but here below to live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often.

When I was younger, I didn't care much for change.  I preferred the comfort of my routine and would even become annoyed when it was upset.  As I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate the necessity of change, which has made me more flexible and even eager to embrace it.  I thank God for this!  A routine can so easily become a rut, and a rut is no good place for me to be.  One dictionary defines a rut as "a narrow or predictable way of life, set of attitudes, etc.; dreary or undeviating routine" and says that the word probably comes from the French "route" for road.  Huh!  What kind of a road is that?  It sounds like a rather restricted one leading inward, but I want to be on the wide road leading out of myself.  Oh yes, I do cherish my inner room where I happily commune with my Father in secret, but He always sends me out into the world that He has created with such wisdom and love.  "This is my Father's world," as the hymn goes -- and it's where I want to be, with all the ongoing growth and change of its vibrant, overflowing life.  And I want to be fully alive, wholly and holily, throbbing with the abundant life of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Oh yes, my King and my God, according to Your will, let there be change and growth, within and without, and through it all, may You be forever glorified, loved and adored!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment