Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday


will I lay my cloak before you,
when they arrest you on olive mountain,
or pull it tighter around me,
fading into the ranks of the deserters;

will I shout
‘Blessed is the one who comes
in the name of the Lord!’
when they parade you
before the authorities,
or will I tell any one – and every one – around me
I never met you in my life;

will I lay my palm branches at your feet,
as they march you to Calvary,
or use them to put more stripes
on your bloody back;

will I run behind you
when they carry you to the tomb,
or turn away
as the ashes of my hopes
are rubbed into the
wounds in my heart?

Bridgeport United Church of Christ

O my Jesus, I want to spend this Holy Week with You, in the company of Veronica, Simon, the women of Jerusalem, the good thief, Your beloved disciple John, Your Blessed Mother Mary, and all those who followed You in Your saving Passion.  I want to help You as they did, to comfort, love and adore You.  But my heart is fickle, dear Lord, and I am selfish and afraid.  I may very well falter and turn against you, as did Pilate, Peter, Judas, the blood-thirsty crowd, the bestial soldiers, and so many others who denied, betrayed, reviled and tormented You.  Then may I not despair but, with confidence and hope, run to You, my King and my God.  Blessed are You who have come to us so rich in love and mercy.  Hosanna in the highest!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment