Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Our refuge and our strength

Ave Maria!  Psalm 46, today's responsorial psalm, has a special place in my heart and my spiritual survival kit as it's one of the first I learned.  It was the early 60s, when we Catholics didn't read the Bible much, if at all.  I was just a youngster then, going through a burdensome time.  I felt so helpless and alone.  Through some mischief I got into with a playmate, which is another story for another time, the Word of the Lord came to me:  "God is our refuge and our strength...thus we do not fear...the Lord of hosts is with us; our stronghold is the God of Jacob."  I was riveted!  And filled with such hope and courage!  I was not alone!  My troubles were great, but here was One who was even greater, and He was with me, my refuge and my strength.  The Lord was in my midst and would help me.  My fortress, my protector, my God in whom I trust!  My troubles did not go away, but neither did my Savior and my King, whose love always abides and whose mercy endures forever.  How can I keep from singing?

Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
~Psalm 23:6

No comments:

Post a Comment