Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Complaints about God continued

Ave Maria!  Later yesterday afternoon, after I had blogged on complaints about God, I picked up my Liturgy of the Hours and opened to Daytime Prayer.  The second psalm was the 13th one from the Psalter, an excellent example of how the writers of the psalms were confident of God's love for them because they were quite free in letting Him know when they were unhappy with Him.  As we see from this psalm...

...they yammered...
"How long, O Lord, will you forget me?  How long will you hide your face?  How long must I bear grief in my soul, this sorrow in my heart day and night? How long shall my enemy prevail?" (Psalm 13:2-3)
...and demanded...

"Look at me, answer me, Lord my God!  Give light to my eyes lest I fall asleep in death, l lest my enemy say: 'I have overcome him'; lest my foes rejoice to see my fall." (Psalm 13:4-5)
...and then, amazingly, rounded off their grievances by proclaiming their faith in their loving God and singing His marvelous praises:
"As for me, I trust in your merciful love. Let my heart rejoice in your saving help: Let me sing to the Lord for his goodness to me, singing psalms to the name of the Lord, the Most High." (Psalm 13:6-7)
Wow!  This is one of the reasons that I love the Psalms so much -- they frankly acknowledge our human condition, so full of evil and misery, yet they always remember the marvels God has worked and is working for them.  They realize the transitoriness of this world and are forever reaching beyond it to the Eternal, to our everlasting home where God shall wipe away all tears from our eyes, and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow (Rev 21:4).
Dear Lord, whatever my complaints about You, let me never forget and thank You for all Your blessings!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment