Thursday, April 21, 2011

Holy Thursday -- Morning Prayer

Ave Maria!  In my parish here in Houston, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, we always have Morning Prayer in our chapel on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday.  We gather at 9am, which is when we have our daily morning Mass throughout the rest of the year.  I am always moved by our simple but heartfelt celebration of this hour from the Divine Office, and this morning was no exception.  Our little chapel was almost full of parishioners, from the very young at 2 years of age to the oldest at 88 years.  One of our acolytes, Ola Branche, who is studying to become a permanent deacon, did a fine job leading us in prayer.  Everyone participated loudly and enthusiastically, especially in singing the much-loved hymn "Here I Am, Lord" by Rev. Dan Schutte, S.J.  Even while my heart throbbed with joy, in the context of Holy Week, some of the lines brought tears to my eyes:
I have heard my people cry; all who dwell in dark and sin, my hand will save....
 
I have borne my people's pain.  I have wept for love of them.  They turn away.... 

I will break their hearts of stone, give them hearts for love alone....

I will tend the poor and lame.  I will set a feast for them.  My hand will save.... 

Here I am, Lord...I have heard you calling in the night...I will hold your people in my heart...
In the night of His agony in the garden, Jesus, our Beloved Lord and Master, heard His Father calling Him...calling Him to drink the chalice, to carry the cross, to lay down His life for us, and to hold us forever in His crucified heart, so overflowing with love and mercy.  O come, let us adore Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment