Friday, July 31, 2009

Today's Saint: St. Ignatius of Loyola

Today the Church remembers and celebrates St. Ignatius of Loyola, whose spiritual exercises continue to transform the hearts and lives of myriad individuals. Because of his surrender to the persistent promptings of the Holy Spirit and his stalwart obedience to the will of God, his life has born fruit throughout the Church and the world to this very day. Back in 1980, I had the great blessing of making a 30-day Ignatian retreat. What I remember most from my long retreat is something I have incorporated into my daily spiritual practices: "to ask for interior knowledge of so great good received, in order that being entirely grateful, I may be able in all to love and serve His Divine Majesty." Today I will ponder anew this wisdom of St. Ignatius and beg our dear Lord Jesus to give me once again such interior knowledge for the greater glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment