Friday, July 3, 2009

Rest

Two painters each painted a picture to illustrate his conception of rest. The first chose for his scene a still, lone lake among the far-off mountains. The second threw on his canvas a thundering waterfall, with a fragile birch-tree bending over the foam; at the fork of a branch, almost wet with the cataract's spray, a robin sat on its nest. The first was only Stagnation; the last was Rest. For in rest there are always two elements – tranquility and energy; silence and turbulence; creation and destruction; fearlessness and fearfulness. This it was in Christ. ~Henry Drummond, "Pax Vobiscum"

From the end of the earth I call; my heart is faint. On the rock too high for me to reach set me on high, O you who have been my refuge, my tower against the foe. Ps 60:3-4

O God, my foe is not the hurly-burly of the world around me but the topsy-turveyness within my heart and soul. Help me, dear Lord, to keep letting go of all this ruckus so that there will always be room for You, our true and everlasting rest. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment