Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Holy Father on the Magnificat

…[We] sing with Mary the great hymn of praise which she raises after Elizabeth calls her blessed because of her faith. It is a prayer of thanksgiving, of joy in God, of blessing for his mighty works. The tenor of this hymn is clear from its very first words: "My soul magnifies – makes great – the Lord". (see Lk 1:46-55)

Making the Lord great means giving him a place in the world, in our lives, and letting him enter into our time and our activity: Ultimately this is the essence of true prayer. Where God is made great, men and women are not made small: There too men and women become great and the world is filled with light.

Through Mary we want to continue our converse with the Lord and to learn how to receive him better. Holy Mother of God, pray for us, just as at Cana you prayed for the bride and the bridegroom! Guide us toward Jesus – ever anew! Amen!

Pope Benedict XVI, 9/11/06


Dear Mary, who sang a new song to the Lord, your whole life was a glorious hymn of wonder, adoration and praise. Even in the midst of sorrow and pain, you continued to sing the goodness of the Lord. I want to sing as you did – gladly and confidently and with great abandon. Dearest Mother, help me! You know how my voice quavers as my heart quivers – and oh, the flat and sour notes I so often hit! Take my poor little song and weave it into yours. Sweet Mary, teach me how to sing with you for our Beloved Jesus. Amen. Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment