Sunday, July 12, 2009

Going on a Journey

The Gospel from today's Mass, Mark 6:7-13, reminds me that when our Lord Jesus sends us out to do His work and preach His gospel, I can count on opposition. Not everyone wants to hear the truth. People will not always welcome me and, at times, even those closest and dearest to me will resist me. Then, Jesus says, I must leave, shaking the dust from my feet as I go (vs. 11). As I ponder this, an admonition of Thomas a Kempis comes to mind: "Do not be concerned overmuch who is with you or against you, but work and plan that God may be with you in all that you do" (The Imitation of Christ, Bk. 1, Ch. 2).

Three things stand out for me as I reflect upon today's Gospel.

1) When Jesus dispatches me to sow His seed, He does not ask me to hoe someone else's garden. He has given me my own little plot of land to cultivate, and I am responsible only for that, not for the whole world. I must trust the Divine Gardener that the seed He gives me to sow will bear fruit according to His divine plan, when and where He wills and in whatever conditions He chooses for the greatest good of each individual. As St. Francis de Sales used to say, "God's providence is wiser than we are."

2) Our Lord sends out His disciples two by two (vs. 7). None of us journey alone. We have each other. Yes, there is safety in numbers -- and great strength, too. The author of the book of Ecclesiastes says it best: "Two are better than one: they get a good wage for their labor. If the one falls, the other will lift up his companion. Woe to the solitary man! For if he should fall, he has no one to lift him up. So also, if two sleep together, they keep each other warm. How can one alone keep warm? Where a lone man may be overcome, two together can resist. A three-ply cord is not easily broken." (Eccles 4:9-12)

3) Our Lord tells us that we must take nothing for the journey but a walking stick (vs. 8). As I think back to the reading that precedes today's Gospel, Ephesians 1:3-14, this makes great sense to me. After all, the Father who loves us so "has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens "(vs. 3), so what could I possibly need to take with me? Except for that walking stick. And what is that if not the Cross of Jesus Christ? The Cross is surely the cost of discipleship, but it is also the sure staff of the disciple. I turn again to Thomas a Kempis: "Why, then, do you fear to take up the Cross, which is the road to the Kingdom? In the Cross is salvation; in the Cross is life; in the Cross is protection against our enemies; in the Cross is infusion of heavenly sweetness; in the Cross is strength of mind; in the Cross is joy of spirit; in the Cross is excellence of virtue; in the Cross is perfection of holiness. There is no salvation of soul, nor hope of eternal life, save in the Cross." (The Imitation of Christ, Bk. 2, Ch. 12)

Ah, Lord, what a magnificent journey You send us on! Let us go swiftly and gladly, believing in Your goodness, hoping in Your mercy, trusting in Your love. Amen. Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment