Monday, June 21, 2010

Surrendering Thoughts of Judgment

Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. ~Matthew 7:1-2

There are times when judging someone comes all too easily to me. Then I pull out my old copy of Marianne Williamson's book Illuminata, A Return to Prayer (reviews here and here), turn to page 130, and slowly, line by line, make this powerful supplication of hers my own. By the time I reach the end, I am filled with remorse for my harshness and am resolved, with the help of God's grace, to "be of love a little more careful than of anything" (e e cummings).

Dear God, I surrender to You my thoughts of judgment.

Please heal me of my temptation to blame Your children whom You adore.

Teach me to love as You do.

Teach me to see the reality behind the superficial masks, the truth in the hearts of all Your children.

May I see the innocence in all humanity, that I may see the world of Your creation, the world anew, the world that shall be.

I relinquish my miscreations.

I surrender my belief in guilt.

Bring me home to the truth at last.

May all God’s children be innocent in my eyes, for they are all my brothers.

May I see this that the world might heal.

Dear God, give me new eyes, Your eyes.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment