Thursday, June 10, 2010

O Heart of Love!

Over the years I've garnered a variety of prayers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This succinct one by St. Margaret Mary, known as the "Apostle of Devotion to the Sacred Heart", packs a powerful punch:
O Heart of Love, I place all my trust in Thee, for I fear all things from my weakness but hope for all things from Thy goodness.
This prayer became a daily one of mine a long time ago when a disingenuous coworker was making life difficult for me. I was feeling most acutely the pain of being human, especially my fierce desire to retaliate. Then, as always, my only recourse was love -- not mine, but His. In the Sacred Heart of my Lord I found refuge from the storm and strength for the battle. The biggest storm and battle were, of course, within myself, and as I kept surrendering my poor heart to His magnificent Heart, I learned from Him the yet more excellent way of His eternal love.

I am still learning, thanks be to God! Each day my Beloved Lord calls me anew: "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light." (Mt 11:28-30) How happy I am to come to HIM!
P.S. In yesterday's blog post, I mentioned the well-worn cartoon that my father always carried in his wallet of a woman dressed in her wedding gown and bridal veil, talking on the phone and exclaiming, "Ready? I've been ready for eight years!" I neglected to add that in his typical humorous fashion, Daddy had written a single word over the head of this woman -- "Gladys", my mother's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment