Sunday, June 20, 2010

Taking up our cross

If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. ~Luke 9:23

Whenever I see a picture of the Hill of Crosses in Siauliai, Lithuania, I automatically think of my Lithuanian mother and her parents and all our many Lithuanian relatives. I especially remember those who suffered for our Catholic beliefs and remained faithful in spite of great opposition and persecution.

I also think of my loving Father casting His eyes over all these myriad crosses as if to select one just for me. "Not that one, it's too heavy for my girl ... no, not this one either, it's too unwieldy for her ..." and so on until He finds the single cross that will be just perfect for me and me alone. And when He presents it to me, why then I must do as Father Dom Lorenzo Scupoli advises: "Every morning, receive thine own special cross from the hands of thy heavenly Father."

My cross is my Father's gift to me. It is my share in the saving cross of His Beloved Son, my participation in His suffering and death as well as in His resurrection and life. My cross is not a burden or a nuisance but a glory and a joy. Through it, I am crucified with Christ, who loved me and gave himself for me. And I live now, not I, but Christ in me! (Gal 2:20) Glory hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment