Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mordor and Beyond

[Jesus said to Peter] "Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, "Follow me." ~Jn 21:18-19

When I first read the above verses from today's Gospel (Jn 21:1-19), I began to think about how God sometimes leads me where I do not want to go. Almost immediately, vivid scenes from Tolkien's trilogy Lord of the Rings popped into my mind – scenes of those dismally dark places that Frodo and his companions traveled through as they made their arduous journey to and through Mordor so as to reach Mount Doom. I don't recall there being a sign there that said "Abandon hope all ye who enter here," but there might as well have been for all the horrible, evil creatures they encountered along the way and all the terrible, frustrating setbacks they had.

Oh yes, I've been in a few Mordor's during my lifetime, and most likely there are more to come. Scary stuff! But I have it all over Frodo. I know for sure that there's more than Mordor and Mount Doom. The journey I'm making is to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God for here we have no lasting city but seek the one which is to come (see Heb 12:22; 13:14). I can't avoid Mordor and Mount Doom any more than our Lord Jesus could bypass Gethsemane and Mount Calvary. Christ had to suffer those things so as to enter into His glory (Lk 24:26), and no servant is greater than his master (Jn 15:20). Still, I know the One in whom I've placed my trust (2 Tim 12). He descended into hell, into all the Mordor's of all our lives, and He redeemed us all when He rose from the dead. I am never alone for the Risen Christ is with us always, until the end of time (Mt 28:20). As St. Francis de Sales was fond of reminding people, "God, whose very own you are, will lead you safely through all things. And when you cannot stand it, God will carry you in His arms."


And so my heart rejoices, my soul is glad;
even my body shall rest in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead,
nor let your beloved know decay.
you will show me the path of life,
the fullness of joy in your presence,
at your right hand happiness for ever.
Psalm 16:9-11

Thank you, dear Jesus, for showing me the way, for being the way. Amen! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment