Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring Rain

He will come to us like the rain, like spring rain that waters the earth. Hosea 6:3

The Old Testament is full of rich images of how God comes to us and works in our lives. Today's image of the spring rain always shows up in the first reading from Hosea (6:1-6) for the third Saturday of Lent, which appropriately enough comes during March, the time of spring rain. The Hebrew word is "malqôsh". In Biblical times, it preceded and promoted the harvest; without it, the crops would not mature. It was the third and last period of the rainy season which ran from November to April. This gentle rain was crucial for the harvest. Without it, crops and fruits would not survive the long, burning hot stretch of summer, during which there was no moisture except for the dew. If the malqôsh failed or was insufficient, drought or famine would result.

Thank you, dear Lord, for coming to me like the spring rain, for always providing for all my needs and especially for preparing me for the dry times lest I wither and die. Thank You for remembering how frail and weak I am, for being gentle but persistent with me. Only in You can I grow and mature; only in You can I bear fruit that will last. My God, how great is Your goodness to me! For ever will I sing Your praise! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment