Saturday, March 6, 2010

Going Back

"I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you." ~Luke 15:18

The Word repentance is often misunderstood. This word, as we know it in the English language, does not fully convey the idea that God wants us to understand. Repentance does not simply mean sorrow for sin. No! The prodigal son had remorse and sorrow while he fed pigs. In despair, he said, “How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!” (Lk 15:17) But was that repentance? Obviously not. The prodigal left the pigs and husks, and went back to his father. He said, “I will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants” (Lk 15:18-19). Almost before he realized it, two strong arms of love embraced him, and the father clasped him to his bosom. That is repentance! The New Testament meaning of repentance is “going back.”

Have you gone back? Have you returned to your heavenly Father? Remorse is not complete repentance. Returning to God is repentance!

~Oswald Chambers

Dear Father, You are waiting for me with Your outstretched arms of love and mercy. Let nothing ever prevent me from coming back to You! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment