Friday, March 5, 2010

The Brothers of Joseph

Today's first reading about Joseph and his brothers who sold him into slavery reminds me of that prayer of St. Thomas More while he was in the Tower of London awaiting his execution. "Give me Your grace, good Lord...to think my greatest enemies my best friends; for the brothers of Joseph could never have done him so much good with their love and favor as they did him with their malice and hatred." This prayer both comforts and challenges me whenever I remember with a stab of bitterness someone who has hurt and betrayed me.

Then comes the gospel from Matthew 21, setting me straight once again. Those "brothers of Joseph" are not my concern. God will take care of them, Jesus assures me. "He will miserably destroy those wicked men," one translation reads.

Indeed, as we pray in today's responsorial psalm, "Remember the marvels the Lord has done!" AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment