Thursday, June 26, 2014

Praying for Humility


Ave Maria!  Some time ago, I posted the "Litany of Humility" by Cardinal Rafael Merry del Val, which I've been praying for over 30 years. Just a couple of months ago, I happily discovered that there's more to this prayer than is usually published in books and on the Web. The portion that's often omitted begins about two-thirds into this litany, beginning with the words "O Jesus grant me" -- you'll see below. The last two lines are a real zinger: "[grant me] the yearning to be treated like Thee, and the grace of knowing how to accept it in a holy way."  Ah, yes, accepting it "in a holy way" -- there's the rub! And so I keep praying the good Cardinal's litany every day. As an aside, a while back when I went to confession, Father asked me if I had ever heard of the Litany of Humility. I eagerly responded, "Oh, yes, Father, I pray it every day!" And then I hung my head somewhat in shame as I added woefully, "Oh, dear, I guess I'm not praying it hard enough!" Both Father and I laughed! As I said, I keep on praying this litany daily. And now that I finally have the entire prayer, who knows, maybe it will help me to become more humble. Deo gratias! 



Litany of Humility by Cardinal Rafael Merry del Val

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being extolled, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being honored, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being praised, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being preferred to others, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being consulted, deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being approved, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being despised, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of suffering rebukes, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being calumniated, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being forgotten, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being ridiculed, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being wronged, deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being suspected, deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That in the opinion of the world others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.


O Jesus grant me:

knowledge and love of my nothingness,

the continuous memory of my sins,

the awareness of my selfishness,

the abhorrence of all vanity,

the pure intention of serving God,

perfect submission to the Will of the Father,

a true spirit of compunction,

blind obedience to my superiors,

holy hatred of all envy and jealousy,

promptness in forgiving offenses,

prudence in keeping silent about others’ matters,

peace and charity towards everyone,

an ardent desire for contempt and humiliations,

the yearning to be treated like Thee,

and the grace of knowing how to accept it in a holy way.


 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment