Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Nudibranch Alert!

Ave Maria! This dazzling sea animal is a nudibranch, a shell-less mollusk that is a member of the sea slug family.  There are more than 3,000 known species of the nudibranch, and new ones are being identified almost daily.  They are found throughout the world's oceans, but are most abundant in shallow, tropical waters.  Usually oblong in shape, a nudibranch can be thick or flattened, long or short, ornately colored or drab to match its surroundings. They can grow as small as 0.25 inches or as large as 12 inches long.

Wow!  And I thought that all slugs were dull, ugly, slimy, repulsive creatures not worth a second glance.

I was wrong.

Huh!  What else am I wrong about?

A lot, an awful lot...

Open my eyes, dear Lord, that I may see wondrous things!

No comments:

Post a Comment