Sunday, April 21, 2013

50th World Day of Prayer for Vocations


Pray the Lord of the harvest to send laborers into his harvest. ~Luke 10:2

Ave Maria!  Today is the 50th Anniversary of World Day of Prayer for Vocations.  This year's theme is “Vocations as a sign of hope founded in Faith.”  Today is also Good Shepherd Sunday.  In 1963 during the Second Vatican Council, Pope Paul VI designated Good Shepherd Sunday as World Day of Prayer for Vocations.  You can listen to a Vatican Radio archive relating to this event here.  It is taken from a radio message dated April 11, 1964 and is accompanied by an English translation. 

Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for us, His sheep (John 10:15), invites each one of us to follow Him and do likewise.  Today we honor the vocation of each one of us was given at our baptism, rejoicing that through our respective vocations of marriage, priesthood, diaconate, consecrated life, and the single life, our Lord calls us to share more deeply in His abundant life and to proclaim His wondrous love to the whole world.  We pray for each other, that we may be faithful to our God-given vocation.  We also pray for those who are discerning their life vocation, that they may listen prayerfully to the voice of the Good Shepherd calling and leading them.

I found a lovely prayer for today on the Web site for the Ursuline Sisters of Youngstown, Ohio, and have copied it at the end of this post.  The words in italics at the very end are my own adaptation.

In launching this yearly day of prayer, Pope Paul VI declared: “O Jesus, divine Shepherd of the spirit, you have called the Apostles in order to make them fishermen of men, you still attract to you burning spirits and generous young people, in order to render them your followers and ministers to us."  What a beautiful and powerful prayer to make our own, today and every day!

Blessed be Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd, now and forever!  Amen!  Alleluia!


PRAYER FOR WORLD DAY OF VOCATIONS, APRIL 21, 2013
 
Gracious God, You have called me to life and gifted me in many ways.
 
Through Baptism You have sent me to continue the mission of Jesus by sharing my love with others.  Strengthen me to respond to Your call each day.
 
Help me to become all You desire of me.  Inspire me to make a difference in others’ lives. Lead me to choose the way of life You have planned for me.  Open the hearts of all to listen to Your call.  Fill all with Your Holy Spirit that we may have listening hearts and the courage to respond to You.
 
Enkindle in my heart and the hearts of others the desire to make the world a better place by serving You and my brothers and sisters in the way You have chosen for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment