Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Refuse God nothing."

Refuse God nothing. Accustom yourselves to doing everything for him. ~St. Jeanne Jugan

Ave Maria!  Today is the feast of St. Jeanne Jugan, also known as Sister Mary of the Cross.  In her forties, she founded the Little Sisters of the Poor, which continues to provide loving homes for the elderly throughout the world.  Some good reads about St. Jeanne and her Little Sisters can be found here, here, here, here and here.  Be sure to check out George Weigel's article here.  The blog for the Little Sisters of the Poor, which can be found here, has a lovely article entitled "The JOY of St. Jeanne Jugan," which is surely the best and greatest gift that the Little Sisters freely give to the residents of their homes.  I know this from experience because when I lived in the Washington, DC area, I volunteered for several years at the St. Jeanne Jugan Residence there.  It was truly a privilege for me to work with these beautiful Sisters and their family of elders.  I've more than once hoped that, God willing, in my declining years I might end up in one of the Little Sisters homes because I strongly suspect that it would be such a lovely blessing.


"Eternal Father, open your gates today to the most miserable of your children, but one who greatly longs to see you. O Mary, my dear Mother, come to me. You know that I love you and I long to see You." ~the last words of St. Jeanne Jugan

No comments:

Post a Comment