Monday, August 22, 2011

Today's Happy Anniversary

Ave Maria! I'm the last person in the world to post a picture of myself on the Web, but I have a good reason for doing so today and for making it this particular one. My dear cousin Christine took this picture of me when we were in Lincolnville, Maine last month visiting my sweet sister Annie and her husband John. That day as I strolled along the beach, invigorated by the brisk sea breeze, I kept thinking of my beloved father, who loved the ocean so much and was forever buoyed up by its immensity and beauty.

When I received this photo from Christine a few days ago and eagerly opened it, I instantly saw Daddy in myself, his smile in mine and his bearing in my own. I could even see the spring in his step in my step. Daddy went home to our loving Father 39 years ago today, and, to the very last moment, even as we boarded the bus together that morning to go downtown to work, he retained the spring in his step. Of course he did, because the wellspring of life and love, the eternal God Himself, was always leaping up within Daddy and spilling over to everyone he met. Daddy incarnated the psalmist's gladsome prayer: "All my springs are in you" (Ps 87:7).

When he died at the age of 81, Daddy was old and tired, he had many and various aches and pains, his heart had been tried and broken more than once according to our Father's mysterious plan, and he ardently longed to be reunited with his loved ones in heaven, especially his wife and our mother, who had died 16 years earlier. Through it all, Daddy was the Lord's good and faithful servant, steadfastly trusting in Him who, as he so often reminded me, would never be outdone in His generosity. The peace and joy that Daddy radiated gave witness to his confidence in God and his deep love for Him.

This picture Christine took reminds me of the truth I've always known -- I am my father's child. And so is my sister. About twenty years ago, Annie and I journeyed back to the cottage our parents owned at Rexhame Beach in Marshfield, Massachusetts, where we spent many happy summers.  Part of the time our cousin Christine and her brother Stephen joined us with their parents, and we had enormous fun, as only close cousins can. When Annie and I arrived at our old cottage, I told her that we should knock on the door and see if the couple who bought it was still living there. Annie wasn't so sure about that, but I persisted and she finally agreed. The gentleman who answered the door was indeed the same person, and as he called out to his wife, he exclaimed, "It's Dick Mansfield's girls!" How I thrilled to hear those words! Daddy's girls! And Mummie's, too!

I still thrill that Annie and I are "Dick Mansfield's girls." I forever rejoice that Mummie and Daddy are our mother and father. Especially today, I thank God with all my heart for our dear Daddy. Amen! Alleluia!

They are happy, who dwell in your house,
for ever singing your praise.
They are happy, whose strength is in you,
in whose hearts are the road to Zion.
As they go through the Bitter Valley
they make it a place of springs,
the autumn rain covers it with blessings.
They walk with ever growing strength,
they will see the God of gods in Zion...
One day within your courts
is better than a thousand elsewhere.
The threshold of the house of God
I prefer to the dwellings of the wicked.
For the Lord God is a rampart, a shield;
he will give us his favor and glory.
The Lord will not refuse any good
to those who walk without blame.
Lord, God of hosts,
happy the man who trusts in you!
~from Psalm 84

No comments:

Post a Comment