Monday, August 29, 2011

Carrying the Cross

As with the disciples, Jesus also addresses the invitation to us. "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" (Matthew 16:24). A Christian follows Christ when he accepts his cross with love, which in the eyes of the world seems a defeat and a "loss of life" (cf. verses 25-26). But the Christian knows that he does not carry the cross alone but with Jesus, sharing in his way of donation.... do not be afraid to take up the challenge in today's Gospel to give your lives completely to Christ. Indeed, may all of us be generous in our commitment to him, carrying our cross with faith and courage.

~Pope Benedict XVI, Angelus Message of 8/28/11

For you have been my strength;
In the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings fast to you;
your right hand upholds me.
~Psalm 63:8-9

Dear Jesus, with You by my side,
I can carry any cross You give me.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment