Thursday, September 9, 2010

Choosing My Disposition

Nothing renders community life more unhappy than unevenness of disposition. ~St. Thérèse of Lisieux

What St. Thérèse says about community life is true for all life where we live or work together. I have a right to my feelings, but I don't have a right to make others suffer because of them. I find that it's often my feelings that contribute to my unevenness of disposition. Life is full of unsettling things that I cannot control, but I can choose what my response to them will be. Even if I initially react negatively, I can change that. And the more anchored I am in God, who alone is my hope and my peace, the sweeter and more harmonious my disposition will be. Then not only I will be happy but also those around me will be happy, too.
Dear Lord, today let me die to self so that I may live happily with You, in You and for you, now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment