Monday, September 6, 2010

Circle of Life, No. 2

This morning I am still thinking about circles, especially the great circle of life that our Lord has drawn "with unparalleled love," where "justice and mercy meet." Because Love Himself has brought me into His circle, how can I not do likewise, how can I draw circles that shut certain people out? Because when people hurt me, I don't want them in my circle. I can and do sometimes keep them out by being cold and hard toward them. They don't like me? Well, I don't like them either. They shut me out? So what, I can and will do the same to them. Tit for tat, and nobody wins, especially me.

Then I remember a lesson from many years ago, back in 1967 when I was a newly-clothed, dewy-eyed canonical novice with the Springfield Franciscans. Oh, what a glorious time that was! I was always on cloud nine -- and Sister Chamindade Kelley, our wise and loving novice mistress, was forever bringing me back to reality. One day when we novices had gathered for our daily instructions with her, she entered the room and silently handed each one of us a single reinforcement. These days reinforcements for notebook paper come in every shape and color possible, but in the sixties, they were no-nonsense white circles of adhesive. Sitting down, "Sister C," as we fondly called her, recited the following poem by Edwin Markham:

He drew a circle that shut me out--
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in.

Talk about a zinger! And she followed it, of course, with her kind but firm suggestion that each one of us take a few moments to quietly ask ourselves what kind of circles we were currently drawing. I don't recall what I came up with, but I've never forgotten this poem and Sister C's valuable lesson. And I keep begging Love to give me some of His wit so that with Him I may always draw circles that take others in, especially those I would much prefer to keep out.
Lord our God, in you justice and mercy meet. With unparalleled love you have saved us from death and drawn us into the circle of your life. Open our eyes to the wonders this life sets before us, that we may serve you free from fear and and address you as God our Father. We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord. Amen. ~Alternative Opening Prayer for the 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

No comments:

Post a Comment