Sunday, July 11, 2010

Let us give!

We must be preoccupied with giving. As are all human beings, we are called upon to be dispenser of divine bounty. And the more we give, the more we ourselves shall have, and in superabundance. Let us give; let us give! Let us remember that we are obliged to give! Let us understand that every day we have a duty to smile and be amiable, to give good example and advice, perhaps to help those around us in some major way or perhaps only to please them in some small way! To bring back a little clarity into a soul, a little serenity into a face -- isn't that a fine and beautiful thing?

...let us try to give what little we can, to remember to respect the rights of others! Let us strive as much as we can for a charity that is both simple and cordial! When we are bored, let us try to conceal it...when we are pleased, let us openly show it! When our difficulties are even greater than usual, let us accept what the Lord sends with gratitude, and not withdraw into ourselves and cruelly upset and embarrass other people!

Instead of feeling that people lack consideration for us, let us try to feel gratitude every time a contact with our neighbor gives us the joy of a more abundant charity! Instead of always counting on receiving, and often discovering that people give badly and too little, let us try to give, to give ourselves!

~from Joy Out Of Sorrow, by Mother Marie des Douleurs

Today's gospel (Lk 10:25-37) recounts the encounter between our Lord and the scholar of law who wanted to test Jesus and justify himself. When he asks "who is my neighbor," Christ not only answers his question but gives him an imperative -- go and do likewise!

The whole world is my neighbor, every single person. God calls me to love and to serve each individual with truth and mercy. As Mother Marie des Douleurs points out, I must be "preoccupied with giving," so much so that I don't even wonder who my neighbor is. Rather, I simply let the love of Christ urge me on (2 Cor 5:14) to welcome one and all into the "divine bounty" of our Lord, from whose fullness I have received, grace upon grace (Jn 1:16).

Yes, I do have an obligation to love, to be kind and merciful, to give freely and to serve gladly. This is my duty. And, as I am assured in today's first reading from the Old Testament (Deut 30:10-14), it is not too mysterious or remote; indeed, it is very near to me, already in my mouth and heart, that I may do it.

Robert E. Lee said that "Duty is the sublimest word in the language." My duty is not a burden, it is a sacred charge, one of God's gifts to me, and I can and must fulfill it in the most ordinary things of my everyday life. It is enough to give what little I can in the present moment. My duty is not limited to the large and hard tasks, which rarely come my way. In fact, almost all of my life is made up of very small duties, and what a shame it would be to overlook or neglect even the most minute. I can't imagine that Jesus, Mary and Joseph ever did that in their simple, humble life at Nazareth, and I want to be like them in all things.

"Father, let the light of your truth guide us to your kingdom through a world filled with lights contrary to your own. Christian is the name and the Gospel we glory in. May your love make us what you have called us to be. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen." ~Alternate Opening Prayer, 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time

No comments:

Post a Comment