Friday, July 2, 2010

Enlarge my heart with love...

Thus we ought to act towards our neighbor ; to bear his defects with sweet patience and tranquility, to support his coarse, wearisome manners, his spiritual and corporal imperfections, by viewing all in the order of God and in the sweetness of Christian charity. If natural love, when it is well enkindled in the heart, not only renders endurable the defects of the person beloved, but makes them agreeable to us, as we see in mothers with regard to their children, supernatural love, which is incomparably more powerful and nobler, ought to have at least as much power to enable us to support with sweetness the defects of our neighbor. If a mother, as St. Dorotheus very well says, brings forth a deformed child, she does not detest it on account of its deformity; on the contrary, she cherishes it with maternal affection, she strives the more earnestly to make up in various ways for the grace and beauty which nature refused it; so we ought never despise our neighbor, whatever may be his defects and imperfections; we ought to support him as he is, and even go farther, to adorn and embellish him in some manner by our good example, our prayers and our unvarying kindness. ~Father Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure, S.J., in A Treatise on the Knowledge and Love of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Enlarge my heart with love, that I may learn to see how sweet it is to love and to be consumed by love, and to revel in love. Let me be possessed by love, let me rise above myself in an ecstasy of love. Let me sing the song of love, "I will follow Thee, my beloved, upon high." Let my soul be lost in Thy praise, singing aloud to Thee for joy. Let me love Thee far more than myself, and myself only for Thee, and in Thee all that truly love Thee, as it is written in the law of love, which shines upon us through Thee. ~Thomas à Kempis in The Imitation of Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment