Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two Anniversaries

Today is the anniversary of my First Holy Communion. Yesterday was the anniversary of my first confession. That was 54 years ago. But what is time other than our invention? In both these sacraments, year after year, I have experienced and celebrated the Eternal -- the Eternal God and His Eternal Love. I have tasted and seen the goodness of the Lord, who has given and continues to give me so many graces every single time I come to these glorious sacraments. Grace upon grace, as St. John says in the prologue to his gospel (verse 16) -- the grace of repentance and conversion, forgiveness and healing, peace and joy, new and eternal life, truth unchanging, real food and real drink for all the hungers of the human heart, and, over and above all, deep, abiding love in Him who is Infinite, Ineffable Love.

And that is the enduring power of these sacraments -- and of all the sacraments -- the power of Him who is Life Itself. It is Jesus who draws me, who forgives me, who feeds me with Himself. Mine is the song of the Shulamite maiden: I have found Him whom my heart loves -- and I will not let Him go (Songs 3:4).

It is our Lord's mysterious way to use us mere mortal beings to bring Him to others. And in the church, He makes His salvation known in a very specific way through our priests, who are ministers of His sacraments. So yesterday and today I am giving great thanks to God for all the priests who have ministered to me over the past 54 years. The vast majority of them have been and are marvelous men and faithful, loving priests. Yes, there have been a few grumpy old men (and "old" here means far more than chronological age!) whose personal problems and unresolved issues have caused more than a little suffering for themselves and others. Nevertheless, I am no less grateful for them and, in fact, I pray even more for these individuals so that one day they will be free to become the person God has made them to be. Besides, I have my own grumpy old moments at times, and I also have caused others to suffer.
Dear Lord, happy, happy anniversary to me! May the graces You give me in Penance and Eucharist flow into the lives of others so that they, too, may continue to find You whom their hearts love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment