Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Widow's Mite

In today's Gospel (Mk 12:38-44), our Lord Jesus tells us about the poor widow who put into the temple treasury "two small coins worth a few cents." It was a paltry sum compared to the large amounts already given by the rich, but she "contributed all she had, her whole livelihood." What a generous gesture! What unselfish deprivation! What this woman a nut case? Or was she a simply and gloriously a spendthrift of love?

Many years ago, Thomas a Kempis wrote in The Imitation of Christ (Book 4, Chapter 8) that Our Lord is saying to us from the cross where He hangs, "I require nothing less of you than that you should strive to yield yourself wholly to Me. Whatever you offer to Me besides yourself, I account as nothing; I seek not your gift, but yourself."

Dear Lord, please give me the courage and trust I need to become Your spendthrift of love! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment