Thursday, June 4, 2009

Create silence...

"The present state of the world and the whole of life is diseased. If I were a doctor and were asked for my advice, I would reply: Create silence! Bring men to silence. The Word of God cannot be heard in the noisy world of today. And even if it were blazoned forth with all the panoply of noise so that it could be heard in the midst of all the other noise, then it would no longer be the Word of God. Therefore create silence." ~Soren Kierkegaard

Soren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher and theologian, wrote the above near the end of his life. He was born in in 1813 and died in 1855. How noisy could it have been over 150 years ago before television, cell phones, Muzak, iPods, and the other noise pollutants of our age? Our current need for silence is enormous! How can I create silence within me and around me and bring others to it? Mary, Mother of the Incarnate Word, who kept and pondered all things in the silence of your heart, teach me that true interior silence we so desperately need in our world and hearts today!

No comments:

Post a Comment