Sunday, June 28, 2009

Made To Be Imperishable

Ever since I woke up early this morning, I've been pondering this single verse from our first reading at today's Mass (Wis 1:13-15; 2:23-24): "For God formed man to be imperishable" (Wis 2:23) However, it's been another very hot day today here in Houston, TX, and the heat seems to have slowed down my brain as well as my body. I've just not been able to pull my thoughts together well enough to write about this amazing fact – that God made us to be imperishable, that he created us for incorruption! On second thought, maybe it has nothing to do with the heat and everything to do with the incomprehensible ways of the Lord. How astounding it is that He who fashioned me from mere dust has breathed His eternal spirit into me and has given me imperishable life in His beloved Son!

So throughout this day I've been marveling over God's goodness and then asking myself a few things, such as … I who, through the powerful and gracious gift of God, am imperishable, do I fully live the life He has given me … do I consciously and carefully turn to His Spirit to help me discern what to think, hear, see, say and touch so as to feed my immortal soul or do I let the spirit of the world lure me into feeding my lesser, baser instincts … do I seek the things that are above rather than those that are on earth (Col 3:2) … do I work not for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life (Jn 6:27) … ?? If I truly believed that God made me to be imperishable, would not all my decisions, thoughts, prayers and actions reflect this? And since not all of them do, what concrete things am I going to do to change this?

As always, the Word of God challenges as much as comforts me.

Thank you, Imperishable God, for making me imperishable! Help me to live the imperishable life so that I may be free to love and serve You as You deserve. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment