Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wednesday of Holy Week

The mercies of the Lord I will sing for ever.  ~Psalm 89:1

Ave Maria! Today, as yesterday and Monday, I am still in spirit with Mary of Bethany, who "anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair" (Jn 12:3). It is a good place for me to be -- not just now during these precious days of Holy Week but every day because, by God's adorable will, I am a consecrated virgin, the bride of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Mary "paid attention only to Jesus," Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D., points out in his book Divine Intimacy, noting that "to show respect to Him, it did not seem extravagant to her to pour over Him a whole vase of precious perfume."  And when those present murmured against her in protest (Mk 14:4-5), "Mary said nothing and made no excuses; completely absorbed in her adored Master, she continued her work of devotion and love."

This is the life to which I, as a consecrated virgin, am called -- a life lived for Jesus alone. Indeed, He has ravished my heart! Why wouldn't I earnestly strive to be so totally absorbed in Him?  Why wouldn't I gladly break open the alabaster jar of my heart and spill myself freely in love and adoration of Him? He is the One, the Only One. "You are God alone" (Ps 86:10) -- my chosen portion and my cup, my inheritance forever (Ps 16:5).

Fr. Gabriel continues: "Mary is the symbol of the soul in love with God, the soul who gives herself exclusively to Him, consuming for Him all that she is and all that she has. She is the symbol of those souls who give up, in whole or in part, exterior activity, in order to consecrate themselves more fully to the immediate service of God and to devote themselves to a life of more intimate union with Him."

Ah, this is the Lord's doing! It is all His surprising choice, His glorious work, His unspeakable gift. "You have not chosen me: but I have chosen you" (Jn 15:16). Domine non sum dignus! Lord, I am not worthy! "The king has brought me into his chambers" (Songs 1:4), and my heart is full of joy. Thanks to His amazing grace, I will steadfastly and confidently continue my seemingly-extravagant but truly little "work of love and devotion" for Jesus alone. Yes, like and with Mary of Bethany, I will happily remain at the feet of my Beloved Spouse, today and all the days of my life. Deo gratias! Thanks be to God!


Jesus,
I adore You,
lay my life before You,
how I love You!


P.S.  Yesterday when I blogged, I was short on time, but today I was able to write a closing paragraph to that post.

No comments:

Post a Comment