Sunday, March 9, 2014

First Sunday of Lent



"At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil."  ~Matthew 4:1

Strong in our baptism, each of us can say [to the tempter]: “I too am made in the image of God, but unlike you, I have not yet become an outcast from heaven through my pride. I have put on Christ; by my baptism I have become one with him. It is you that should fall prostrate before me.”

At these words he can only surrender and retire in shame; as he retreated before Christ, the light of the world, so will he depart from those illumined by that light.

Such are the gifts conferred by baptism on those who understand its power; such the rich banquet it lays before those who hunger for the things of the Spirit.

~St. Gregory Nazianzen, 329-389, Commentary

Grant, Almighty God,
through the yearly observances of holy Lent,
that we may grow in understanding
of the riches hidden in Christ
and by worthy conduct pursue their effects.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
Amen.
Collect, First Sunday of Lent
The Roman Missal, Third Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment