Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Passion of Christ, strengthen me...

"Strengthen me, by all you suffered, to bear pain and sorrow and separation and loneliness.  Strengthen me, by the endurance of your agony, to endure temptation.  Strengthen me when I am attracted or frightened away from our Father's will, when I am bored and tepid and apathetic.

"Strengthen me not just to undergo passively but to bear with trust and courage and humility and love.  Let me make of my suffering a real sharing in your passion's satisfaction.

"Strengthen me not only for myself but for others; for the strength of each one is the strength of all.

"I have yielded so much, so shamefully.  I am without strength and without courage.  My past is of failures:  in this present moment there is so much I am trying to evade:  I can hardly dare trust in my future.

"Give me trust then in the strength of your passion, in your humility and love."

~H.P.C. Lyons, S.J., Praying Our Prayers


Anima Christi
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
 Body of Christ, save me.
 Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
 Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
 Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
 O Good Jesus, hear me.
 Within Thy wounds, hide me.
 Suffer me not to be separated from thee.
 From the malignant enemy defend me.
 In the hour of my death call me
 And bid me come unto Thee,
 That with all Thy saints, I may praise thee
 Forever and ever.
 Amen.
 

Ave Maria!  As many of us know, the "Anima Christi" is a powerful Christ-centered prayer from around the 14th century.  Many people still pray it today after receiving Holy Communion.  To learn more about this prayer's history and meaning, you might want to check out some excellent articles here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment