Friday, March 8, 2013

Praying for Our Cardinal Fathers

Ave Maria! The Vatican Insider reports here that yesterday in Rome, the Archbishop of Milan, Cardinal Angelo Scola, summarized the third day of pre-Conclave meetings.  “We need time to get to know each other, to talk more and to establish what the main needs of today's Church are. And in order to find the right man who can address these needs,” the cardinal noted: “It makes me shudder to think about the task that lies ahead of us next week. I don't think we are ready yet.”

Dear Friends, we must keep praying for our Cardinal Fathers!  Our prayers need not be long and complicated.  Short ones will suffice.  You know, those precious arrow prayers that we shoot straight from our hearts, aiming to pierce the mighty heart of our loving Father.  Here are some we all know.

Lord, hear my prayer.
O God, come to my assistance.
O Lord, make haste to help me.
Father, into your hands...
Jesus, I trust in you.
Holy Spirit, enlighten us.

Then there is the Psalter, chockfull of such zingers. 

Arise, Lord, save me.
I trust in your merciful love.
In you I take refuge.
O my Strength, to you I turn.
Lead me and guide me.
Guide me by your counsel.
Teach me to do your will.
 
These are but a few out of zillions of arrow prayers we can find in the Scriptures.  Pick up your Bible, find an arrow prayer that leaps forth from your heart to God's, and commit yourself to making that your constant prayer for our Cardinal Fathers during these days. 
 
Just as we don't need many words to pray, we don't need much time.  If we have only three seconds (and who doesn't?), we can pray. 
 
The Cardinal Fathers have their God-given task to elect a new pope.  We also, dear friends, have our God-given task:  we must pray!  We must pray often and pray much.  We must pray with love and devotion, certain of the Father's love for us.  And we must pray with confidence and hope, for the Father who gives us the grace to pray through His Son and the Holy Spirit hears our every prayer and answers them all according to His most gracious will.
 
Deo gratias!  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment