Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ephesians 4:1-6


"Walk worthy of the vocation in which you are called."  ~Ephesians 4:1 

Ave Maria!  The Epistle at the Extraordinary Form of the Mass for today, the 17th Sunday after Pentecost, is Ephesians 4:1-6.  This Scripture passage has been a little “rule of life” for me over the past 48 years, all because a wise priest pointed it out to me when I went to him for confession on a certain God-planned Saturday afternoon. 

It was the fall of 1964.  I was 16 years old and in the 10th grade.  I was young, unseasoned, self-important, and impatient.  I was antsy for my “real life” to happen – you know, the life I was going to live once I graduated and finally began my mission of saving the world and changing everybody in it.   

After I confessed my sins, Father asked me if I had a prayer book or missal that contained the readings for Sunday Mass.  Yes, I said, I have my mother’s prayer book with all those readings in it.  So he told me to go home and look at the Epistle for the next day, the 17th Sunday after Pentecost, and to pay special attention to verses 1-3, which he read to me then and there, beginning with the words:  "walk worthy of the vocation in which you are called."  That’s what I should concentrate on, Father advised me -- living fully in the present moment, humbly and lovingly doing what our Lord was asking of me here and now rather than being a frequent flyer on flights of fancy into the unknown and far-off future.   

Wow!  A million light bulbs flashed on in the darkness of that confessional and within my heart!  At that time, I was living alone with my elderly father, which presented a few challenges for a young lady such as myself.  Fortunately, we both loved each other very much, and now, thanks to this understanding priest, I suddenly realized that Daddy was already more than a few steps ahead of me in doing what St. Paul counseled:  “with all humility and mildness, with patience, supporting one another in charity.”  Now I must and would gladly go and do likewise. 

I’ve always remembered both this passage from Ephesians and the priest who directed me to it.  Today I’m considerably older and a bit seasoned but still self-important and impatient.  So I open Mummie’s prayer book to my little “rule of life,” marked by the same ribbon I placed there 48 years ago, and once again I beg God for the grace to live in a way worthy of the call I have received – the call to life on high in Christ Jesus my Lord.  

P.S.  If you are a priest reading this, please be assured that what you priests tell us in confession really does matter a good deal to us.  We remember your advice and direction – sometimes for 48 long years! -- and we take it to heart, all for the better.  Deo gratias!  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment