Monday, February 13, 2012

More Counting it All Joy

Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you encounter various trials.  ~James 1:2 

Ave Maria! Today's first reading (James 1:1-11) is most dear to me as it begins with my motto of many years: "Count it all joy."  Of course, temptations, trials, hardships, sufferings and all the myriad difficulties of life are not themselves a joy.  However, they can bring us true gladness because they can lead us to the wellspring of eternal joy, Jesus Christ, "who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross" (Hebrews 12:2).

So we have our dear Lord's example, especially when, during His agony in the garden, his sweat became as drops of blood, trickling down upon the ground and He prayed the longer:  "Not my will, but Yours be done" (Luke 22:42-44).  To do His Father's will was always His greatest joy.  And far more than our Lord's example, we have His ready help in all our adversities, both large and small.  But we must remember what our Master told us -- "Until now you have not asked nothing in my name; ask, and you shall receive; that your joy may be full" (John 16:24).  Let us ask, then, and, as St. James advises, let us ask "in faith, not doubting" (James 1:6).  And let's not be timid about calling upon the One who alone can save us!  Rather, let us be persistent like that troublesome widow who kept wearying the judge (Luke 18:1-5) and insistent like the blind man of Jericho who shouted ever more loudly as Jesus passed by (Luke 18:35-43).

Today, as always, with the grace of my dear Lord, who loves me so much, I will strive to ask in faith, receive in gladness, and count it all joy.

But I will rejoice in the Lord:
and I will joy in God my Jesus.
Habakkuk 3:18

No comments:

Post a Comment