Saturday, February 11, 2012

"Be it done unto me..."

"Be it done unto me according to thy word" surrenders yourself and all that is dear to you to God, and the trust which it implies does not mean trusting God to look after you and yours, to keep you and them in health and prosperity and honor.

It means much more, it means trusting that whatever God does with you and with yours is the act of an infinetely loving Father...

When Our Lady stood up, a queenly child, and uttered her fiat to the Angel of God, her words began to make Christ's voice. Those first words of consent had already spoken Christ's last words of consent; her "I commit myself to you, do whatever you like with me" were already spoken by Christ in her; they were one and the same with His: "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit"...

God asks for extreme courage in love; the Bride of the Spirit must respond with strength like His own strength.

Our Lady did this.

~Caryll Houselander in The Reed of God

Dearest Mary, Handmaid of the Lord,
grant me a share of the courage
and the strength of your fiat.
Amen.

Dear ones, as some of you know, Caryll Houselander is one of my favorite authors.  I read her book The Reed of God in 1966, and she has been my soul sister ever since.  Happy to report, there's much good stuff about her out there in cyberspace, including excerpts from some of her writings.  For a real feast for your soul, go here, here, here, herehere, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment