Saturday, March 5, 2011

Knowledge and Wisdom

Ave Maria! I've always felt a bit sad for non-Catholics because they don't have the book of Sirach in their Bibles. Its so full of godly wisdom and practical advice that I wonder why they've not embraced it. I've been reflecting on today's first reading from this book, which is a vibrant passage in grateful praise of wisdom (51:12cd-20). Without wisdom, our knowledge is incomplete.

Knowledge says "I've left everything to follow you." Wisdom admits "I am an unworthy servant. I have only done my duty."

Knowledge says "Jesus is Lord." Wisdom proclaims "My Lord and my God! My God and my all!"

Knowledge says “The Lord has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.” Wisdom remembers "I will never forget you."

Knowledge says "I'm only human." Wisdom declares "God made me in His image and likeness, only a little lower than the angels, and He has crowned with glory and honor."

Knowledge says "You have laid me in the depths of the tomb." Wisdom professes " You will raise me from the depths of the earth; you will exalt me and console me again."

Knowledge informs. Wisdom leads the yearning heart in the secret ways of the Most High God.

"My heart was stirred to seek her, therefore I have gained a good possession." (Sirach 51:21)

Mary, Seat of Wisdom, pray for me to become wise with the wisdom of your Beloved Son, Jesus, in whose Sacred Heart are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment