Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Coming of the Holy Spirit

"Take," O spirit of Jesus Christ, "that which is his and give it to me", that it may be mine. Let your light shine forth within me, so that I may recognize his truth. Bind my heart to the loyalty of faith, so that nothing may lead me from it. And teach me to love, for without love truth is dead. "That love resides, not in our shewing any love for God, but in his shewing love for us first." Convince my heart of God's love, and give me the strength to love him in return, that "I may abide in God and he in me".

O Spirit, you bring up the new creation in the old world; fill me with confidence in your holy power. It is not of earthly kind, and amidst the forces and wiles of earth it often appears foolish and weak. And so give my heart the hope for "the glorious freedom of God's sons".

O Holy Spirit, our Lord lived from you, and in your power he has "overcome the world". But this world is ourselves: our selfish, blind and foolish heart. Take it in your power, make it ready and open, so that he may live in us and we in him.

Amen.

~ "The Coming of the Holy Spirit" by Fr. Romano Guardini in Prayers from Theology

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment