Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Christ asleep within my boat"

A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat, so that it was already filling up. Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion. ~Mark 4:37-38

Ave Maria! When a storm blows up in my life and I feel overwhelmed, how greatly I identify with today's gospel (Mark 4:35-41)! Like the apostles, I'm out there in my little boat on the big, wide ocean amidst wind, rain, thunder and lightning, and Jesus is in the stern -- alseep! With much consternation, I clamor as they did, "Lord, wake up! Do you not care that I am perishing?"

Then I recall St. Thérèse of Lisieux's comment about her Profession retreat: "I suffered complete spiritual dryness, almost as if I were quite forsaken. As usual, Jesus slept in my little boat." As usual, she says, implying that this is the way it is for her. So be it. Our Lord is there, just asleep. "It’s likely that as far as I'm concerned, he will stay asleep until the great final retreat of eternity," she notes. Does that bother her? Apparently not, for she immediately adds, "But that doesn’t upset me. It fills me with great joy."

Perhaps I also can find joy during times of unrest, dryness and seeming abandonment. "To be near God is my happiness," the psalmist proclaims (Ps 73:28). Is it not enough for me that Jesus is in my boat? Do I not yet understand that "With the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken" (Ps 16:8)?

Back in 1966, Medical Mission Sister, writer and singer Sr. Miriam Therese Winter made her first recording, the gold record album "Joy is Like the Rain". This was a favorite song of mine then, and I still sing it at times when Jesus is asleep in my boat. The words are simple but profound:

I saw raindrops on my window,
Joy is like the rain.
Laughter runs across my pain,
slips away and comes again.
Joy is like the rain.

I saw clouds upon a mountain,
Joy is like a cloud.
Sometimes silver, sometimes grey,
always sun not far away.
Joy is like a cloud.

I saw Christ in wind and thunder,
Joy is tried by storm.
Christ asleep within my boat,
whipped by wind, yet still afloat.
Joy is tried by storm.

I saw raindrops on the river,
Joy is like the rain.
Bit by bit the river grows,
till at once it overflows.
Joy is like the rain.

St. Thérèse had enormous trust in God and in His enduring love for her. She was also very humble. These two virtues -- confidence and humility -- make fertile ground for joy to take root, bloom and grow. Today I ask the Little Flower to help me cultivate these virtues, especially when Jesus is asleep in my boat.

The favors of the Lord are not exhausted, his mercies are not spent; they are renewed each morning, so great is his faithfulness. My portion is the Lord, says my soul; therefore will I hope in him. Good is the Lord to one who waits for him, to the soul that seeks him; it is good to hope in silence for the saving help of the Lord. ~Lamentations 3:22-26

No comments:

Post a Comment