Monday, January 10, 2011

Ordinary Time Begins

Ave Maria! The Church begins Ordinary Time today. Fittingly enough, the gospel at Mass is Mark 1:14-20, which contains both a proclamation and a summons. "Preaching the gospel of God," Christ announces that the kingdom of God is at hand, then calls us to repent and believe. "And passing along," our Lord invites us to follow Him, just as He invited Simon and Andrew and the fishermen of old. What will my response be today? Will I immediately leave everything to walk with Him? Will I abandon even those I hold most dear so as to live for Jesus alone? Will I let Him so captivate and possess me that his proclamation and summons become a new song in my life, an eternal hymn of love and praise as He Himself becomes my strength and my song (Exodus 15:2)?

In simple trust like theirs who heard
Beside the Syrian sea
The gracious calling of the Lord,
Let us, like them, without a word
Rise up and follow Thee.
from "Dear Lord and Father Of Mankind"
by John Greenleaf Whittier

O Lamb of God, I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment