Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The spirit God gives us

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control. ~2 Timothy 1:7

Ave Maria! Like all human beings, there are times when my faith wavers and my spirit quails. "I can't do this," I think when God asks the seemingly impossible of me. "Not me. Not here. Not now. Not ever. NOT!"

Depending on which dictionary we consult, the timid person is shy, hesitant, easily frightened, and/or lacking in self-confidence or determination. The word "timid" comes from the Latin word "timere," which means to fear or be afraid. Yep, that's me by nature, a little shrinking violet that would much prefer to stay hidden in the woods. But Christ our Lord calls me to so much more! He calls all of us to such greater and grander things for the Father's praise and glory! And He gives us His power to respond with all our being!

St. Paul tells us that "the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us" (Romans 5:5). He also reminds us that we can do all things in Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). On the natural level, I may indeed be timid, but Jesus Himself bids me, "Come up higher, my friend!" (Luke 14:10). He gives me His own spirit of power, love and self-control so that I may rise above myself and live "with the strength that comes from God" (2 Timothy 1:8). I live now, not I, but Christ in me (Galatians 2:20). Thanks be to God!


"Per ipsum, et cum ipso, et in ipso..."
Through him, and with him, and in him,
O God, almighty Father,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
all glory and honor is yours,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment