Monday, October 4, 2010

Today's Feast: St. Francis of Assisi

Many people will be flocking to church today for the Blessing of the Animals traditionally held on this feast of St. Francis of Assisi. At St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, my parish here in Houston, we'll have quite a crowd thanks to the many school children who always appear with their assorted and beloved pets. By 8am, when our ceremony begins, the parking lot will be jam packed, dogs will be yapping and cats hissing, fur and feathers will be flying, kids will be screeching with laughter and adults smiling with delight, and our priests will be liberally sprinkling holy water left and right as far as they can fling it. I can hardly wait! It will be just grand! My only regret is that I must leave Queenie, my sweet cat, here at home. Because she's such an extremely timid soul and very much a one-person cat, I fear that this morning's excitement would be too overwhelming for her.

Today's yearly blessing of the animals is a lovely tradition that reminds us of how greatly and reverently St. Francis loved animals, nature, and all of creation. This love of his went beyond mere sentimentality. Thomas B. Stratman, in an article about St. Francis as brother to all creatures, points out that his love was "a profound appreciation for reality as it comes from the hands of the Creator and leads back to him." Stratman's reflection is a worthy read that accurately depicts St. Francis as the realist he was. This man who cuddled the animals and conversed with them was consumed with the burning love of Christ His Lord. He was the first person to receive the Holy Stigmata, the wounds of Jesus, on his hands, feet and side. Henceforth he could truly say, "I have been crucified with Christ" (Gal 2:20).

Dear St. Francis, show me how to love "all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small" as you did. And give me, please, a share in your passionate love of Jesus Crucified so that He alone may be my God and my All. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment