Monday, October 25, 2010

Betty Botter

Let me sing to the Lord for His goodness to me! ~Psalm 13:7

Ave Maria! Do you know Betty Botter? She's a creation of Mother Goose and quite a tongue twister. I thought of her this morning when I was feeling a bit sluggish and out of sorts. Marjorie Ainsborough Dexter wrote a Christian version of this nursery rhyme, which I include below. By the time I finished reciting it a few moments ago, I was laughing at myself and quite ready to sing instead of mutter. Here's to a day of better chatter for all of us!


Betty Botter did but mutter,
"But," she said, "the mutter's bitter;
If I'm bitter while I mutter
It will fill my heart with clutter;
But a bit of better chatter,
That would make my heart feel better."
So she sought some words to fit her,
Which were kind instead of bitter;
Soon she sang and didn't mutter,
So kept out that awful clutter;
So 'twas better Betty Botter
Changed from bitter things to better!

No comments:

Post a Comment