Saturday, August 28, 2010

Today's Feast: St. Augustine

There can be no true friendship unless those who cling to each other are welded together by you in that love which is spread throughout our hearts by the holy spirit which is given to us. ~The Confessions of St. Augustine, 4:4

St. Augustine uses the image of welding to explain true friendship. I know practically nothing about welding, but I think I understand the basic process. For two metals to be welded together, heat must be applied. Using an energy source to melt these materials and sometimes applying pressure causes them to liquefy. The liquid coalesces, then solidifies. At the end of this process, the two pieces of metal have become one continuous solid.

In true friendship, it is not enough for two persons to cling to each other. They must be welded together by God's love which, St. Paul tells us, is poured forth into our hearts by the Holy Spirit who has been given to us (Rom 5:5). The flame of the Spirit is an all-consuming one. If I submit to God's welding process for the sake of true friendship with another individual, I will no longer be the same. And what a joy that will be, for then my friend and I will become a new creation! Transfigured by Love Himself, we will live no longer for ourselves but for Him, our best and greatest Friend.

Oh my God, make me worthy of true friendship, for the praise of Your glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment