Sunday, August 22, 2010

In Memory of Daddy

Today is the 38th anniversary of my beloved father's birth to eternal life. He was 81 years old when he died in 1972. I post this poignant hymn by George Matheson, "O Love That Will Not Let Me Go," in memory of dear Daddy. This is not only one of his favorite hymns, it is also a beautiful image and expression of his life, his faith and his very soul. I miss Daddy every single day, now more than ever, but I rejoice that his is now the "life that shall endless be."


O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

O light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

George Matheson

"But I have trusted in thy steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me."
Psalm 13:5

More about George Matheson and this hymn can be found here, here, here and here. A few of his devotionals can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment