Friday, August 20, 2010

Ed


This is a picture of Ed and me. I just learned that Ed passed away earlier this week. He was the greatest dog ever! But the first time I laid eyes on him, I wasn't so sure. My niece Deborah and her husband Ty had brought Ed home shortly before I moved from Washington, DC to Houston, TX, where I lived with them for a year during a time of enormous upheaval in my life. Deb had sent me a photo of Ed shortly before I left DC, and my heart just sank when I saw it. They already had one dog, Randi, and I was just barely able to be around her. Now this character Ed, who practically leaped out of the photo and landed on top of me, was going to be there, too? Oh, this wasn't good, not good at all. I didn't like dogs and was a bit scared of them and now I was going to live with two of them? And this Ed, he just looked way too eager to get to know me. Oh, no, not good at all.

As you can see from this picture, which Deb took within days of my arrival at their home, Ed had no trouble winning me over. I don't remember exactly how or when we bonded, just that it was almost instantaneous. Suddenly we were best buds! And we were having so much fun together! Like in this picture, when I'd be sitting on the living room floor and Ed would come rushing over and somersault into my lap. His antics were many and hilarious. He made me laugh all the time! And I needed laughter badly at that point in my life. I also needed his slobbering kisses on my face, which he gave me regularly and freely. And when he jumped up on my bed at night and almost pushed me out of it because he was so big and a single bed really isn't made for two, I didn't mind because he comforted me so lying quietly beside me. God knew how much I needed Ed and the gifts he was giving me, and I thanked Him every night for Ed's endearing, healing presence in my life.

Deb and her husband and their two sons moved to Jacksonville Beach, FL a few years ago. Though I see them when they come to town, I've not yet been to Jacksonville so I've not seen Ed and Randi in a while. I sure have missed them, especially Ed. Deb sometimes used to chide me because I would dote on Ed and neglect Randi -- and, as Deb pointed out, Randi's feelings might be hurt. I suppose she was right, but Ed was so special to me. I learned from him why a dog is considered a man's best friend -- and a woman's too. He was always right there for me, and I'm sad to think that I won't see him again on this earth. But in the hereafter, surely I will. Do I believe that our beloved pets go to heaven when they die? I swear by St. Francis of Assisi that they do! And when I finally get there, Ed will be just waiting to somersault into my lap and give me one of his messiest kisses ever. Oh happy day!

All you animals, bless the Lord!
Praise and exalt Him above all forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment