Thursday, January 28, 2010

Today's Feast: St. Thomas Aquinas

I found more wisdom in prayer at the foot of the crucified than in all the books I have ever read. ~St. Thomas Aquinas

The above quote was my introduction to St. Thomas Aquinas when I first came across it as a high school student in the mid-60's. I was on a quest for knowledge -- and I still am, though now in a more balanced way, thanks be to God -- and I wanted to know everything, especially about God and my Catholic faith. I was an avid reader, thanks to my beloved parents, and when I entered first grade, I was light years ahead of my classmates. In fact, my initial experience of reading within the school system filled me with dismay. Dick and Jane? Who were they? What about Emma and Rebecca? Spot? What about Moby Dick? OK, I'm exaggerating slightly, I wasn't quite at that reading level, but I was bored out of my mind with Dick, Jane and Spot, which, through Mummie and Daddy's example and influence, became a lesson in patience and humility for me. But back to St. Thomas Aquinas, who led me to seriously question the prodigious reading program I was busy planning for my life. He taught me two invaluable lessons that continue to bear fruit in my life -- one, that wisdom is more important than knowledge, and, two, that the school of wisdom par excellence is found at the foot of the cross. And that's it, that's everything.

Thank you, St. Thomas, for helping to set me on the path of wisdom so early in my life. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment