Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Resolutions of St. Maria Faustina

Yesterday I posted Pope John XXIII's daily decalogue. Today it's Sister Faustina's resolutions from her diary. Like Pope John XXIII, she offers me concrete ways to grow in love, virtue and holiness. I've never been much for making New Year's resolutions, but I do follow St. Francis de Sales' advice to make a resolution each morning and stick to it throughout the day ahead. Since he wisely observes that unless we're specific in our resolutions, they will amount to nothing, I strive to make my resolution as particular as possible. For example, let's say that today my resolution is #8. As I review my schedule for the next 24 hours, I note that it's going to be the sort of day wherein "the whirl of work" may possibly consume me. So I carefully plan here and there for mini retreats to "look up to heaven" so as to refresh my soul and restore my balance. Between Pope John XXIII and St. Faustina, I have an ample supply of resolutions for the year ahead. And every day, thanks be to God, I can begin afresh. Oh, glory!

RESOLUTIONS OF ST. FAUSTINA
from her Dairy of Divine Mercy, #226-227

1. The duty of the moment that I most often fail to obey, I will do my very best to improve.

2. I will keep silent before others who grumble.

3. I must take no heed of the opinion of others.

4. I must do everything and act in all matter now as I would like to do at the hour of my death.

5. In every action I must be mindful of God.

6. I must be faithful in my spiritual exercises.

7. I must have great appreciation for even the most minute task.

8. I must not let myself become absorbed in the whirl of work, but take a break to look up to Heaven.

9. I must speak little with people, but a good deal with God.

10. I must pay little attention to who is for me and who is against me.

11. I must not tell others about those things I have had to put up with.

12. I must maintain peace and equanimity during times of suffering.

13. In difficult moments I must take refuge in the wounds of Jesus; I must seek consolation, comfort, light and affirmation in them.

14. In the midst of trails I will try to see the loving hand of God.


Dear Saint Faustina, please pray for me to be at peace in Divine Mercy. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment